FOR IBVCA ATHLETES
Resources to prepare you for the 2023 HS season – our first as an IHSAA Emerging Sport!
The IBVCA does not serve in the role of rules interpretation. Please refer to your coach, your AD, or the IHSAA Bylaws (linked below) for any questions about how things are changing for boys volleyball starting in the 2023 season. Many of you have seen some of these changes in action now – the “Rule of 3” for club teams, the
“No Contact with Coach” rule for club coaching, etc. Things will continue to change & evolve as the sport grows in the future.
Generally, the top five new things you should know are:
- All athletes must have a physical on file to compete on a boys volleyball team. Some schools also require athletic consent, registrations, and full health histories as part of that process.
- The official 2023 season starts on Monday, February 27th and runs through the end of the State Tournament (usually the third week of May.) Try-outs for your program can start on 2/27.
- If you become ineligible to compete at any point during the season, you may practice with the team but you may not play. This also means you cannot wear a uniform at matches until your eligibility is cleared. This is commonly due to grades, attendance, or extended illness return policies.
- Athletes can compete in up to six (6) sets in a single evening (shared between JV and Varsity.) Athletes must commit to a single roster for tournament events.
- To be academically eligible to compete, students must be passing 70% of their enrolled credits. Rule 18-1 in the Bylaws provides more details.
The IBVCA has adhered to IHSAA guidelines as frequently as possible over the last 25+ years. In this transition to Emerging Sport, all IHSAA rules must be followed.
Important General Bylaws to Note:
Rule 1-4 (Emerging Sports), Rule 3-10 (Athletic Physicals & Consents), Rule 3 Q&A 3-7 (Ineligibility Follows the Student), Rule 7 (Coaches), Rule 9-13 (No Sunday Contests), Rule 9-17 (Non-HS Student Prohibition), Rule 9-18b (Use of AV Equipment during Contests), Rule 10-1 (Contest Limitations), Rule 11 (Contracts), Rule 12 (Enrollment), Rule 14 (Officials), Rule 15-2 (Participation – Team Sports), Rule 18 (Scholarship), Rule 19 (Eligibility and Transfer), Rule 50 (Sports Seasons)
Rule 62 (Volleyball) begins on page 132 in the handbook, which is page 143 in the digital PDF linked above.
The IBVCA has followed the NFHS Volleyball program for many years. Rulebooks, changes/interpretations, and links to the digital app are available here. These are the in-competition rules.
Don’t miss these important dates!
- Pre-Season Limited Contact (December 5, 2022- February 4, 2023)
- First day of season & start of try-outs (Monday, February 27, 2023)
- First day of season competition (Saturday, March 11, 2023)
- Post-Season competition tournament forms & nominations due (Monday, April 24, 2023)
- State Tournament Selection (Sunday, May 7, 2023)
- Regionals (Week of May 8, 2023, with finals played on Saturday, May 13, 2023)
- State Quarterfinals (Friday, May 19, 2023)
- State Semifinals, Finals, and All-Star Match (Saturday, May 20, 2023)